|Course Prefix and Number:
|Course Title (Subtitle):
||Natural Resources Career Workshop:
Eco-Adventure Experience and Selected Topics in Environmental Education:
|Number of Credits:
UWSP Registration Form
Mail a check for $342.30 payable to UWSP
On site: Tara Short • firstname.lastname@example.org • 715-252-1238
Email complete paper as an attachment to Tara Short at email@example.com
with "Costa Rica Graduate Assignment" in the subject line.
- Complete a theme paper and lesson plan using one of the topics below.
The theme paper will be used as the background information to the lesson.
- The assignment is due no later than September 15, 2008.
Requirements for Theme Paper:
- Choose one topic from the list below.
- The paper must be at least 1800 words (1 cover page, 4 pages of text
(no pictures please), 1 sources cited page).
- 1.5 line spacing and 12pt Times New Roman font, 1 inch margins.
- Use proper MLA citation within the document and included a sources
- Check spelling.
- Use at least three credible sources. In addition to websites, books,
and magazines, you may also interview experts, use television documentaries,
and radio broadcasts.
Requirements for Lesson Plan:
- Use your theme paper to develop your lesson plan. It will provide the background information to the lesson.
- Your lesson plan should include these sections: Key Terms and Concepts, Learning Objectives,
- Materials, Overview or Introduction, Activity Procedure, Assessment/Study Questions,
- Email Microsoft Word doc or Adobe pdf files only
- 1.5 line spacing
- Check spelling
- Tropical Rainforest. Describe the structure (layers-canopy, sub canopy, mid canopy, etc.), species in each layer, animals that occupy each layer, and interrelationships of organisms...and the abiotic factors such as rain, soil, wind, and sunlight.
- Night Hike Ecology. What did you discover about the nights in tropical forests; the interdependency of amphibians, bats, and other critters on the plants and insects of the tropical forest.
- Ecology of the Rainforest Canopy or Strangler Fig. Discuss the interrelationships of trees, epiphytes, macaws, and/or strangler fig ecology.
- Lagoon and Wetland Ecology
- Mangrove ecology and conservation.
- Sea Turtle Conservation. Describe the types of turtles that nest on the Osa Beaches, why they are threatened or endangered, what can be done to protect them? What are some government agencies doing to protect them (example, the Caribbean Conservation Corps). Or focus on a related Marine resource issue -- over fishing.
- Gold Mine History and its effects on the Osa and Costa Rica
- Corcovado and the National Parks of Costa Rica. Write a paper on the history, resources and challenges facing Corcovado and other national parks in Costa Rica.
- Rainforest products. What resources does the rainforest provide the global economy. How do people from your home state rely on products produced from the rainforest? Is our dependence on the rainforest sustainable?
- Cause and effect. The rainforest has often been described as the "lungs of the earth". Explain the role the rainforest plays in the global ecosystem in terms of its biotic and abiotic production and nutrient cycling. According to scientists, how fast is the rainforest disappearing? What are the global consequences for losing this endangered resource?
Submission of Paper
Email your paper as an attachment to:
Tara Short - Assistant Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
(use "Costa Rica Graduate Assignment" in the subject Line)